Welcome to the Bioinformatics Research Lab!
1. American Diabetes Association - Mechanism of mircobiome-induced insulin resistance in humans (2013-2016), subcontracted to perform metagenoimcs data analysis.
2. NIH Genomic Prediction of Chronic Pulmonary Inflammation in HIV Infection (2013-2018), subcontracted to perform bioinformatics data analysis.
3. NSF Natural variation and drought responses in developing maize inflorescences (2013-2018) subcontracted to develop an integrated maize genomics database.
4. NIH Diversity and dynamic stability of the ocular surface microbiome (2012-2017), subcontracted to develop bioinformatics tools and provide data analysis for characterizing ocular surface microbiome.
5. NIH Lung Microbiome and Pulmonary Inflammation/Immunity in HIV Infections (2009-2014) subcontracted to develop bioinformatics tools and provide data analysis for characterizing the respiratory microbiome in HIV-infected using high-throughput 16S rDNA and metagenomics sequencing.
6. NIH The urethral microbiome in adolescent males (2009-2013) subcontracted to develop bioinformatics tools and provide data analysis for characterizing the male urethral microbiome in longitudinal urine samples collected from adolescent males using high-throughput 16S rDNA and metagenomics sequencing.
7. NIH Investigation of Cloud Computing to Support Data-Parallel Health Research (2009-2011) subcontracted to develop bioinformatics applications to Cloud computing architectures.
Participating in real-world research is the only way to become a true bioinformatician. If you are self-motivated and interested in bioinformatics, you may be able to be part of this opportunity. We have many interesting short-term and long-term projects available in biology, statistics, and computer-science.
Twigg HL 3rd, Nelson DE, Day RB, Gregory RL,Dong, Q., Rong R, Knox K, Crothers K, Sodergren E, Weinstock G. (2014) Comparison of whole and acellular bronchoalveolar lavage to oral wash microbiomes. Should acellular bronchoalveolar lavage be the standard? AST Journal, Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2014 Jan;11 Suppl 1:S72-3. doi: 10.1513/AnnalsATS.201306-162MG.
1. Kuehn, J., Gorden, P., Munro, D., Rong, R., Dong, Q., Plummer, P., Wang, C. and Phillips, J. (2013) Bacterial Community Profiling of Milk Samples as a Means to Understand Culture-Negative Bovine Clinical Mastitis. PLoS One, 8(4): e61959. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0061959
2. Zhou, M., Rong, R., Munro, D., Zhu, C., Gao, X., Zhang, Q*. and Dong, Q*. (2013) Investigation of the Effect of Type 2 Diabetes on Subgingival Plaque Microbiota by High-Throughput 16S rDNA Pyrosequencing. PLoS One, 8(4): e61516. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0061516.
3. Vilo, C., Benedik, M., Kunz, D. and Dong, Q. (2012) Draft Genome Sequence of the Cyanide-Utilizing Bacterium, Pseudomonas fluorescens Strain NCIMB 11764. Journal of Bacteriology 194(23):6618-9. doi: 10.1128/JB.01670-12.