Welcome to the Bioinformatics Research Lab!
1. NIH Genomic Prediction of Chronic Pulmonary Inflammation in HIV Infection (2013-2018), subcontracted to perform bioinformatics data analysis.
2. NSF Natural variation and drought responses in developing maize inflorescences (2013-2018) subcontracted to develop an integrated maize genomics database.
3. NIH Diversity and dynamic stability of the ocular surface microbiome (2012-2017), subcontracted to develop bioinformatics tools and provide data analysis for characterizing ocular surface microbiome.
4. NIH Lung Microbiome and Pulmonary Inflammation/Immunity in HIV Infections (2009-2014) subcontracted to develop bioinformatics tools and provide data analysis for characterizing the respiratory microbiome in HIV-infected using high-throughput 16S rDNA and metagenomics sequencing.
5. NIH The urethral microbiome in adolescent males (2009-2013) subcontracted to develop bioinformatics tools and provide data analysis for characterizing the male urethral microbiome in longitudinal urine samples collected from adolescent males using high-throughput 16S rDNA and metagenomics sequencing.
6. NIH Investigation of Cloud Computing to Support Data-Parallel Health Research (2009-2011) subcontracted to develop bioinformatics applications to Cloud computing architectures.
Participating in real-world research is the only way to become a true bioinformatician. If you are self-motivated and interested in bioinformatics, you may be able to be part of this opportunity. We have many interesting short-term and long-term projects available in biology, statistics, and computer-science.
1. Kuehn, J., Gorden, P., Munro, D., Rong, R., Dong, Q., Plummer, P., Wang, C. and Phillips, J. (2013) Bacterial Community Profiling of Milk Samples as a Means to Understand Culture-Negative Bovine Clinical Mastitis. PLoS One, 8(4): e61959. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0061959
2. Zhou, M., Rong, R., Munro, D., Zhu, C., Gao, X., Zhang, Q*. and Dong, Q*. (2013) Investigation of the Effect of Type 2 Diabetes on Subgingival Plaque Microbiota by High-Throughput 16S rDNA Pyrosequencing. PLoS One, 8(4): e61516. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0061516.
3. Vilo, C., Benedik, M., Kunz, D. and Dong, Q. (2012) Draft Genome Sequence of the Cyanide-Utilizing Bacterium, Pseudomonas fluorescens Strain NCIMB 11764. Journal of Bacteriology 194(23):6618-9. doi: 10.1128/JB.01670-12.